Sunday, May 15, 2011

Iphone misses

I'm not a programmer or a computer guru, but I do think of myself as a technology oriented person. I like the fact that I don't need to carry a camera, a cellphone and a mp3 player and instead I use my iPhone for all these tasks and more. Although the iPhone does way more things (if you include the apps available to download and/or purchase) than one person could possibly need or use, there are some basic things I believe they have missed:

Tasks: I really get annoyed of the fact that there is no task feature on the iPhone, I use to have a Blackberry that did task management and synced them to my PC when the first iPhone came out. We're now on the 4th generation of Apple phones and they can't seem to get that included, although there are some very good apps that do the job, this one should be one that comes "in the box".

Calendar: there are two fixes that I believe should be addressed in this app, first the "location" field in the calendar app is very misleading since to get a link to a map on this app you have to write the address on the "notes" field. And there is no contact link or field, so if you need to add someone to a calendar you need to do it somewhere else (directly on Gmail for example), or write their name and contact info on the "notes" field as well, this would be better addressed in a "Tasks" app since calling a contact is more of a task unless is a 2 hour conference call, for which you probably won't use you iPhone anyway. But the option of including and/or inviting people to events through calendars should be there.

iPhone messenger: this one is probably not done because of the pressure of the phone companies to lose all the money the make through text messages, but if you see the success of Whatsapp or Blackberry messenger, then I don't see why not to have one exclusive to the iPhone (or throughout the Apple brand), since they love the "only compatible between Apple products" line of business.

Keychain: password software is very useful and it should come with the iPhone, once again I can go back to my Blackberry to prove my point, had it 3 years ago.

Camera: included QR code reader, those codes are starting to appear everywhere. Although there are some apps that do the job, it would be easier to do it from the camera app.

Home screen: I hadn't really though about it until I read CNET's 20 things the iPhone 5 should have or we want it to have or something like that, but one of those things was a home screen where you can see the time, weather, calendar, missed calls, emails, etc., the picture they show is spot on. The Blackberry I had 3 years ago did have an option for a screen like that, except for the weather, but it was very useful to see upcoming events, tasks, messages, and emails right there on the home screen.

There are probably more that I am forgetting, but for now this is what I would like Apple to include in the next iOS, since these don't need a hardware upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment